Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) and an SFSU GPA of 2.0 or higher. If either is below 2.0, the student must complete an Undergraduate Academic Probation Hold Clearance Form (PDF). When submitting these petitions, the student needs to attach two documents for a complete packet:
- His or her unofficial transcript
- His or her completed Undergraduate Deficit Calculator
The Advising Resource Center (ARC) can assist students in preparing their packets. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment. Once you have an appointment set, please do the following to prepare for your appointment:
- Print out and bring the Undergraduate Academic Probation Hold Clearance Form (PDF)
- Fill out the top section of the form including answering Questions 1 and 2 (you can also type up your response to these quetsions on a separate sheet)
- Print out and bring your Unofficial Transcript
- If you are able to, complete the Undegraduate Deficit Calculator and bring a printout
Before submitting the petition for a Dean’s review, make sure that all parts of the petition are completed; that the student, advisor, and Chair have signed; and the three documents identified above are attached. Clear statements about what contributed to a low GPA and what is now different that will lead to improvements are required for approval.
Packets which are otherwise complete, but still needing a Dean’s signature should be submitted to the LCA Dean's Office in Creative Arts Building, Room 251. Appointments will not be given for a Dean’s signature; petitions will be processed within a week of being received.
If there are no issues with a petition, it will be acted upon and the hold will be removed if it is approved. If there is a problem, the student will be informed within a week by email. It is imperative that students write their email address on the petition clearly.