Independent Study

Students wishing to take an independent study need an approved petition to do so. In the College of Liberal & Creative Arts, the Petition for Course by Independent Study should be signed by the instructor, the Chair, and a College Dean (even though the form doesn’t show a place for that signature).

Undergraduate students should have earned a cumulative 3.0 GPA and graduate students should have earned a cumulative 3.25 GPA. Independent studies are upper division or graduate level courses and therefore are not appropriate for lower division students.

Graduate students may not have more than 6 units of independent study on their ACT (Advancement to Candidacy) Form. Undergraduates should check with their major advisor and Chair for limits in their programs.

The academic merits of the proposed study should be clearly evident in the statements made about it.

Before submitting the petition for a Dean’s review, make sure that all parts of the petition are completed; that the instructor and Chair have signed; and that an unofficial transcript is attached.

Packets which are otherwise complete, but still needing a Dean’s signature should be submitted to the LCA Dean's Office in Room 251 of the Creative Arts Building. Appointments will not be given for a Dean’s signature; petitions will be processed within a week of being received.

If there are no issues with a petition, it will be acted upon and forwarded to the Registrar. If there is a problem, the student will be informed within a week by email. It is imperative that students write their email address on the petition clearly.

ARC staff can be reached at, (415) 338-1486,
or visit us at HUM 112 Monday - Friday 9am-5pm.