chat loading...


The College of Liberal & Creative Arts is the academic home for twenty one schools and departments and approximately seven thousand majors and graduate students, making it the largest college at San Francisco State University. The College’s Advising Resource Center (ARC) can help you with choosing a major, finding a major advisor, and preparing for your meeting with a major advisor.

We offer classes in multiple formats and sizes, as well as community service learning classes and internship experiences.

Free tutoring services are provided by the Tutoring and Academic Support Center (TASC). 

We maintain several computer labs for classroom and individual use. Academic standing, honors and academic trouble are determined on the basis of grades earned. 

ARC advisors can also talk with you about how to earn honorsmaintain good academic standing, recover from an academic problem, or petition for exceptions, if that is needed.  They can refer you to resources to enrich your educational experience and increase your success and satisfaction. Contact the ARC for assistance or advice on any of these matters.

The College of Liberal & Creative Arts also houses two Metro Academies which support students in achieving academic excellence through personalized tutoring and advising with a focus on equity and social justice.

Student at table reading from large book

Many students find an internship to be an important of their educational experience allowing them to apply what they have learned to a setting outside of the university. It also gives them a safe environment to explore various career options.

Several programs within the College of Liberal & Creative Arts offer internship experiences:

Internship Course Taught By Contact Information
ANTH 685 - Projects in Teaching Anthropology Lincoln
BECA 576 - Internship in Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts Faculty
CINE 692 - Internship Bernardi
CLAS - None None None
COMM 695 - Internship in Communication Studies Mathern

CW 675/875 - Community Projects in Literature Caspers
CWL - None None None
DES 576 - Practical Experience: Internship Faculty
DANC 685 - Projects in the Teaching of Dance Faculty
ENG 698 - Work-Study in Language and Literature Faculty
FLL 599 - Internship in Foreign Languages Faculty
HIST 680 - Archives or Historical Agency Internship Mabalon 

Visit the History website

HIST 880 - Archives or Historical Agency Internship Mabalon
HUM - None None None
IR 640 - Field Study in International Relations Faculty
IR 892 - Sponsored Graduate Internship in International Relations Faculty

Visit the IR website

JOUR 617 - Journalism Internship  Azocar
JS 600 - Internship Astren
LCA 576 - Entertainment Industry Media Internship Program Ibrahim

LS 681 - Community Service Learning in the Schools  Keith
MS 681 - Museum Studies Lab Faculty
MS 880 - Museum Internship  Faculty
MUS 608 - Early Field Experience in Music Education  Faculty
PHIL 680 - Field Projects in Health Care, Research Ethics, and Public Policy Silvers
PHIL 680 - Field Projects in Law and Public Policy Salkin
PHIL 681 - Publishing Philosophy  Faculty
PHIL 717 Projects in the Teaching of Faculty
PHIL 718 Teaching Philosophy                                        Wilcox
PHIL 881 Advanced Philosophy Publishing                   Faculty 
PLSI 603/604 - Public Service Internship McDaniel
PLSI 610/611 - Judicial Internship  Carcieri
THA 657 - Practicum in School and Community Drama  Faculty
TPW 695 - Internship inTechnical and Professional Writing  Lindeman
WGS 698/798 - Work Study in Feminist Projects  Faculty


Please Note: Starting Fall 2018, all students getting academic credit for an internship must be interning at a University approved organization.  Please contact your department or internship faculty for more information.

SF State offers many courses that involve Community Service Learning (CSL) and the College of Liberal & Creative Arts offers a variety of courses each semester that include CSL experiences.  According to the bulletin: "Community Service Learning (CSL) is the combination of academic study with community service so that each is enhanced by the other." This allows "students to make connections between their classroom education and its application to the field."  One can search for such classes by entering the program offering the course and the course number and then selecting "Service Learning" in the course attribute box on the Class Schedule search.  The following courses are examples of service learning:

Service Learning Courses
Service Learning Course Taught By Contact Information
DANC 399 - University Dance Theater Wendy Diamond, Cathleen McCarthy
DANC 699 - Independent Study  Ray Tadio
DES 324GW - Research and Writing for Deisgn - GWAR  David Cox
DES 505 - Senior Deisgn Project TBA
DES 575 - Workshop Various Topics, Sections, and Instructors
DES 627 - Advanced Projects in Visual Communication Design Joshua Singer
ENG 114 - First Year Composition Jolie Goorjian or Jerome Schwab (various sections)
ENG 214 - Second Year Written Composition: English Anita Cabrera, Herman Haluza, Amy Love (various sections)
PHIL 383 - Ethics in Medicine  Anita Silvers
PLSI 463 - The Politics of Immigration in the United States Ron Hayduk
TH A 399 - Jazz/Modern Music Combo Dianthe Spencer
WGS 698/798 - Work Study in Feminist Projects Nan Boyd

For more information on service learning opportunities, please contact the Institute for Civic and Community Engagement (ICCE).

Grades are used to determine academic standing. Students are encouraged to discuss their academic standing with their major advisors and advisors in the Advising Resource Center (ARC). Email for an appointment.

Good Academic Standing

Undergraduates with Grade Point Averages (GPA) of 2.0 or higher are in good academic standing. For graduate students this threshold is 3.0.


Undergraduates earning a 3.25 GPA in a semester where they complete 12 or more units will be on the Dean’s list for that semester. Graduating with a GPA of 3.5 or higher as an undergraduate will lead to an honors designation by the university. Most undergraduate majors in the College of Liberal & Creative Arts are eligible to be considered for Phi Beta Kappa, a prestigious honor society, if they have a GPA of 3.7 or higher and meet other criteria.

Academic Trouble

GPAs below 2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students will result in academic probation, disqualification and/or dismissal for undergraduates and graduate students.

Letter Grades versus CR/NC

For some courses, students may choose whether they want to be graded on the basis of letter grades or Credit/No Credit. However, this choice must be made by a specified date; university policy states that grading options are not to be changed after that deadline except to correct instructor or administrative error. The Registrar posts a calendar of dates and deadlines.

Make up of Incomplete

When a student completes work for a course in which s/he has received an incomplete grade, the student completes the top part of Petition for Grade Change—Make Up of Incomplete and submits this form along with the course work to the instructor. Note that this form does not require action by the College.

Grade Appeals

Grades are the responsibility of faculty. Only faculty may assign and change grades. Chairs, Directors, Deans and other Administrators cannot change grades. If a student thinks his or her grade has been incorrectly recorded, s/he should follow the Academic Senate’s Policy on Grade Appeal Practices and Procedures.  We have also put together a list of Grade Appeal Guidelines for further information.

Beginning with Spring 2021 degrees, the Degree Progress Report (DPR) will be the only tool used to evaluate and award degrees. Your advisors, both in the ARC and in your major/minor, are critical in the graduation process. 

Are you on track to graduate?

Go to the registrar’s website for the steps that will help you prepare for the graduation process.

How can the ARC help you graduate?

We are here to answer questions you have about General Education (GE) requirements, issues with your DPR, and making sure you register for the GE courses you need.

What about your Major/Minor?

Meeting with an adviser in your major and/or minor is vital to completing your degree. Your major/minor program will work with you to make sure you are fulfilling the major/minor requirements. Check out your programs advising information and make an appointment with your major/minor advisor today.

What about Transfer Credits?

Check your Transfer Credit Report (TCR).  Your TCR lists your previous college-level coursework and shows how your transfer credit counts at SF State. Courses appear on this report only if SF State has received an unofficial transcript from the institution where the courses were taken.

Many of the University's student employment opportunities can be found on Handshake.