chat bot graphic

Students are encouraged to see advisors in their majors and/or an advisor in the Advising Resource Center (ARC) once a semester. Majors within the College of Liberal & Creative Arts assign undergraduate major advisors in different ways (for the most up-to-date information on procedures for securing a major advisor, contact the department). Graduate students typically get academic advising from the graduate coordinator in their program. Occasionally, students wish to deviate from usual practices, and that deviation will require a petition. There are online resources for completing petitions and one can seek assistance from the Center when completing a petition.

Advising in Departments


School of Art

Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts

School of Cinema


Communication Studies

Comparative and World Literature

Creative Writing

Design and Industry

English Language and Literature


School of Humanities and Liberal Studies

International Relations

Jewish Studies


Modern Greek Studies

Modern Languages and Literature

School of Music


Political Science

School of Theatre Arts and Dance

Women and Gender Studies

ARC staff can be reached by email at, at our Chat above, by phone at (415) 338-1486 or visit us at HUM 112 Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.