chat bot graphic

Grades are used to determine academic standing. Students are encouraged to discuss their academic standing with their major advisors and advisors in the College Advising Resource Center (ARC; email for an appointment).

Good Academic Standing. Undergraduates with Grade Point Averages (GPA) of 2.0 or higher are in good academic standing. For graduate students this threshold is 3.0.

Honors. Undergraduates earning a 3.25 GPA in a semester where they complete 12 or more units will be on the Dean’s list for that semester. Graduating with a GPA of 3.5 or higher as an undergraduate will lead to an honors designation by the university. Most undergraduate majors in the College of Liberal & Creative Arts are eligible to be considered for Phi Beta Kappa, a prestigious honor society, if they have a GPA of 3.7 or higher and meet other criteria.

Academic Trouble. GPAs below 2.0 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students will result in academic probation, disqualification and/or dismissal for undergraduates and graduate students.

Letter Grades versus CR/NC. For some courses, students may choose whether they want to be graded on the basis of letter grades or Credit/No Credit. However, this choice must be made by a specified date; university policy states that grading options are not to be changed after that deadline except to correct instructor or administrative error. The Registrar posts a calendar of dates and deadlines.

Make up of Incomplete. When a student completes work for a course in which s/he has received an incomplete grade, the student completes the top part of Petition for Grade Change—Make Up of Incomplete and submits this form along with the course work to the instructor. Note that this form does not require action by the College.

Grade Appeals. Grades are the responsibility of faculty. Only faculty may assign and change grades. Chairs, Directors, Deans, and other Administrators cannot change grades. If a student thinks his or her grade has been incorrectly recorded, s/he should follow the Academic Senate’s Policy on Grade Appeal Practices and Procedures

ARC staff can be reached at, (415) 338-1486,
or visit us at HUM 112 Monday–Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.