Steps for Processing a Petition
What you need to do:
- Before you work on your petition, make sure you don't have holds on your student account. Most petitions cannot be processed if there is a hold on your account. Login to your Student Center and look at the Holds and Alerts box on the right to find any hold that you might have. Alerts require no action, only holds must be addressed. Be sure to clear holds, or be in the process of clearing holds, before submitting your petition to your instructor and/or department.
- Find the form that needs to be complete on the registrar's website. Work with your department office if you aren't sure what form you need to use.
- Complete the form electronically, filling in all information. Save form as a PDF. Use the student petition checklist to make sure you fill in everything that is required. **Note about filling out petitions: Please download the file and use Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to fill in the petition. Any petitions filled in using "preview" come up blank when opened by the recipient of the petition and cannot be used.**
- Download a copy of your unofficial transcript from your student center.
- From your SFSU email account, email your completed form and copy of your unofficial transcript to your instructor's SFSU email account for their approval.
- The instructor should email their approval to the department. If they email you with their approval, you will need to forward that email to the department.
If the petition does not require instructor and/or department approval (TERM withdrawal, TERM retroactive withdrawal) you can email the petition, from your SFSU email account, directly to the registrar's office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens next?
- The department will continue the approval process with their approval sent to the ARC, the ARC will send their approval to the registrar's office.
- The registrar's office will process the request. It takes approximately 3-4 weeks from when the ARC receives the petition from the department for the request to be reflected in your Student Center.
After 4 weeks, how do I check if my petition has been processed?
- Check your Student Center. You should be able to see the requested change reflected in your Student Center.
- If you don't see the requested change reflected in your Student Center, then check your Holds and Alerts box for any holds that may prevent the processing of your petition. The registrar's office will email you, to your SFSU email account, if there is a hold on your account that is preventing your petition from being processed or if payment is due before it can be processed.
If you answer no to both of these questions, then email the department. The department will check in on the petition to see what the issue is.